Monday, April 18, 2011

UNIFI

  As we all know, TM has released their High Speed Internet last year which is called UNIFI. I got it a few months ago and I think it is time that I give a review on it. As most of you know, there are three packages you can pick from. I got the VIP5 package which gives you the max speed of 5mbps. I will break up my review into five segments, which is:

1. What you get for your money

  When I got UNIFI they were having a promotion so I could install UNIFI for free. If there was no promotion on the other hand, I would have to pay an installation fee which if I am not mistaken is RM200. These promotions come around every now and again so if you do want to get UNIFI, you should wait for one. With the UNIFI package you get a free dect phone, modem, router, hypp tv basic channels and a few different softwares. These come free with all three packages. 

  The only difference between VIP 5, 10 and 20 is the speed and monthly price. For VIP5, you pay RM150 per month. This is only a RM10 difference from stremyx's 4mbps. I think, if you get UNIFI during a promotion, you get a lot for your money but then again, if you do end up paying for the RM200 installation fee it makes you feel that you have been cheated. 

Overall, I give UNIFI 7/10 for what you get for your money.

2. Internet Speed

  Before I got UNIFI I was using stremyx's 1mbps. Because of this I can really see the difference in internet speed with UNIFI. When I watch YouTube, I only have to wait around 20 seconds before I can watch a full HD video without any interruption. Using normal websites on the other hand such as Facebook, I can't see any difference. Maybe the page opens slightly faster then before, but nothing to shout about. Downloading has improved drastically. I don't have an exact figure on how fast it is but a whole season will only take a few hours to download. 

  Gaming has also improved. I used to have a hard time playing call of duty before online. I needed to off my downloads so all my internet speed was focused on my game. Now I don't need to do that but my FiFa 11 lags a lot still. This could be caused by many factors. I think it is because the other person I am playing with has slow internet so myne also gets slow. I don't know.

Overall, I am happy with the speed even if it can get a bit slow on the weekends. I give it a 8/10.

3. Hypp Tv

  As I told you, hypp tv comes free with your Unifi package. It is something like Astro but you can still enjoy it when it rains. The only thing you get free actually are the basic channels. They have other channels but they cost a lot and they don't have that many shows that are as up to date as astro which is also very late in getting its shows. For example, on astro we are already on season 11 for CSI, but on Hypp tv, they are only on season 5. Those channels are also not cheep. One channel can cost up to RM6 per month. 

  The good thing with hypp tv is that you get Videos on Demand or VOD. VOD's are shows or movies on which you can buy and watch. The movies they have on their VOD are kinda new. They have Toy Story 3, Salt, Prince of Persia and many more. They do have the latest seasons of CSI, but you have to pay for them. Hypp Tv also comes with interactive tv or iTV. iTV lets you watch trailers of new movies, go to TED.com and read the news. It's a cool feature but not used that much.

  As you know, I use 5mbps. This makes my hypp tv lag a lot cause 5mbps is the slowest of all three packages. This makes it hard to change channels and sometimes makes you want to throw the remote and hug your astro decoder. 

  Overall, I must give Hypp tv a low rating: 5/10. This is caused by the number of channels which are not even 40, the price you pay for it and the lag.


4. Dect Phone


  With UNIFI you get a free Dect Phone and number. With this number you can call all land lines for free. Cool, yeah I guess so but how many people still use land lines. The clarity of it is also not good. It always sounds like you are in a plane and if the power goes out you can't use the dect phone because it is connected to the modem. 

The cool thing about the dect phone is that you can connect other dect phones to it wirelessly. Because of this, I now have three dect phones. One in the living room, one in the tv room and one in my parents room. I think the Dect Phone deserves a solid 7/10

5. Overall (Again)

I think UNIFI is very good. Yes, maybe hypp tv is not the best and sometimes the speed is slow and stuff but I still think it is very good. Because of UNFI i can now stream videos directly from my computer to my tv. I must give UNIFI a 9/10. Thats right 9/10.

1 comment:

  1. HyppTV Doesnt use the 5mbps internet line, its on its own... around 10mbps If I am not mistaken

    ReplyDelete